Cracking the AP Biology Exam
The Chemistry of Life
CHAPTER 2 QUIZ
Directions: Each group of questions consists of five lettered headings followed by a list of numbered phrases or sentences. For each numbered phrase or sentence, select the one heading that is most closely related to it and fill in the corresponding oval on the answer sheet. Each heading may be used once, more than once, or not at all in each group. Answers can be found here.
(A) Hydrogen bond
(B) Peptide bond
(C) Glycosidic bond
(D) Ester bond
(E) Amino group
1. Weak bond formed between polar molecules
2. Bond linking two monosaccharides in glycogen
3. The connecting CO–NH bond in an organic molecule
4. Bond that links a fatty acid to a glycerol molecule
5. Basic functional unit of organic molecules
Directions: Each of the questions or incomplete statements below is followed by five suggested answers or completions. Select the one that is best in each case.
6. Which of the following organic molecules is a major storage carbohydrate used to store energy in plants?
7. A solution with a pH of 10 is how many times more basic than a solution with a pH of 8?
8. The conversion of lactose to glucose and galactose involves the addition of which of the following molecules to the lactose molecule?
9. All of the following organic compounds are polymers EXCEPT
10. All of the following organic compounds contain a hydroxyl functional group EXCEPT
11. A particular polypeptide contains 90 amino acids. When the polypeptide is completely hydrolyzed, how many water molecules are formed during this process?
12. All of the following contribute to the unique properties of water EXCEPT
(D) capillary action
(E) low heat capacity