Cracking the AP Biology Exam
CHAPTER 5 QUIZ
Directions: Each of the questions or incomplete statements below is followed by five suggested answers or completions. Select the one that is best in each case. Answers can be found here.
1. All of the following statements are correct regarding the light reaction in photosynthesis EXCEPT
(A) The antennae pigments capture sunlight.
(B) The reaction center in photosystem II is P680.
(C) Light energy is converted to chemical energy.
(D) The electrons are activated and passed along an electron transport chain.
(E) Carbon dioxide is used to make glucose.
2. When electrons are passed along the electron transport chain during noncylic photophosphorylation, in photosystem I, this results in the production of
3. One of the outcomes of noncyclic photophosphorylation that does not occur in cyclic photophosphorylation is
(A) light energy is absorbed
(B) ATP is produced
(C) NADPH is produced
(D) electrons are passed along the electron transport chain
(E) electrons trapped by photosystem I are energized by sunlight
4. Which of the following processes requires sunlight, ADP, and water?
(A) Photosystem I
(B) Photosystem II
(D) Calvin cycle
(E) Electron transport system
5. Under dry and warm conditions, the primary difference between the C3 and C4 pathway is that
(A) C4 has special pigments involved in photosynthesis
(B) C3 plants use CO2 to make glucose whereas C4 plants use O2
(C) C3 plants fix carbon during the day whereas C4 plants fix carbon during the night
(D) C4 plants have a higher rate of photosynthesis than C3 plants
(E) C3 plants are better adapted to intense sunlight than C4 plants
Directions: Each group of questions consists of five lettered headings followed by a list of numbered phrases or sentences. For each numbered phrase or sentence, select the one heading that is most closely related to it and fill in the corresponding oval on the answer sheet. Each heading may be used once, more than once, or not at all in each group.
(E) Ribulose bisphosphate
6. Contains enzymes of the carbon-fixing reactions
7. Contains enzymes of photophosphorylation
8. The five-carbon molecule involved in the dark reaction
9. The molecule that accepts CO2 during the Calvin cycle