AP English Language
Develop Strategies for Success
Introduction to the Analysis Essay
• Analysis is the study of rhetorical strategies and stylistic elements.
• Your writing reflects your critical thinking.
• Review the types of analysis questions asked on previous exams.
• Always address the prompt.
• Review the rubrics to understand the rating system.
• Remember, the essay on the exam is a first draft.
• Follow a timing strategy for writing the exam essay.
• Carefully analyze the prompt.
• Practice topic adherence.
• Employ close reading and highlighting of the given passage.
• “Work” the material.
• Write your essay and check against models.
• Use echo words.
• Form a study group.
• Read sample essays and rubrics.
• Score your own essays.