Homework Helpers: Physics
10 Nuclear Physics
Chapter 10 Examination
Match the following terms to the definitions that follow.
g. atomic number
j. beta-minus particle
k. nuclear fission
l. nuclear fusion
_____1. A particle (a proton or neutron) found in the nucleus of an atom.
_____2. A positively charged particle commonly found in the nucleus of an atom.
_____3. This is the antiparticle of the electron, with a mass of zero and a charge of +1.
_____4. The process in which a heavy nucleus splits into two or more parts.
_____5. The number of protons in the nucleus of an atom.
_____6. A particle (an electron) emitted from the nucleus of an atom during beta decay.
_____7. A particle made up of quarks.
_____8. The process in which two or more smaller nuclei combine to make a larger one.
_____9. A tiny packet of energy that makes up light.
____10. Fundamental particles that are constituents of protons and neutrons.
Perform each of the following calculations.
11. Calculate the energy of photon with a frequency of 2.10 × 10–7 Hz.
12. How much energy does a photon with a wavelength of 4.12 × 10–8 m contain?
13. Calculate the momentum of a photon with a wavelength of 2.76 × 10–6 m.
14. Calculate the wavelength of an electron with a velocity of 3.15 × 107 m/s.
15. Calculate the binding energy of an isotope with a mass defect of 0.005291 u.