Cracking the AP Biology Exam
CHAPTER 7 QUIZ
Directions: Each of the questions or incomplete statements below is followed by five suggested answers or completions. Select the one that is best in each case. Answers can be found here.
1. If the diploid number for an organism is 24, the haploid number is
2. The event that occurs when homologous chromosomes come into close contact during meiosis I is called
3. During meiosis there are two rounds of all of the following stages EXCEPT
4. All of the following represent events that occur within a cell during meiosis I EXCEPT:
(A) Homologous chromosomes become closely associated during synapsis.
(B) Sister chromatids disjoin and chromosomes move to opposite poles.
(C) Tetrads are held together at chiasmata.
(D) The nucleolus disappears and chromatin condenses.
(E) Genetic material is exchanged between nonsister chromatids.
Directions: Each group of questions consists of five lettered headings followed by a list of numbered phrases or sentences. For each numbered phrase or sentence, select the one heading that is most closely related to it and fill in the corresponding oval on the answer sheet. Each heading may be used once, more than once, or not at all in each group.
(A) G2 phase
(E) S phase
5. DNA-protein complex making up eukaryotic chromosomes
6. Period during which DNA is replicated
7. Structure that holds chromatids together
8. Contained within microtubule organizing centers
9. Period of renewed protein synthesis