Cracking the AP Biology Exam
CHAPTER 10 QUIZ
Directions: Each of the questions or incomplete statements below is followed by five suggested answers or completions. Select the one that is best in each case. Answers can be found here.
1. All of the following are major characteristics of dicots EXCEPT
(A) they contain vascular tissue
(B) the leaves have netted veins
(C) they have two cotyledons
(D) the flower parts are in multiples of three
(E) the cotyledon provides food for the germinating embryo
2. Conifers and flowering plants are classified in the same phylum. Which of the following characteristics do they share?
(A) They are all perennials.
(B) The xylem is dead at maturity.
(C) They are all woody plants.
(D) They both contain seeds.
(E) They both shed their leaves.
3. Which of the following structures is NOT part of the pistil?
4. The plant tissue that gives girth to a plant during each growing season is called the
(C) secondary xylem
(D) lateral meristem
(E) apical meristem
5. Carnivorous plants are most likely to be found in which of the following environments?
(A) A nutrient-laden tropical rainforest canopy
(B) An arid desert
(C) A nitrogen-poor swamp
(D) A temperate deciduous forest
(E) A tropical savannah
6. All of the following are examples of tracheophytes EXCEPT
7. The plant hormone responsible for the ripening of fruit is
(E) abscisic acid
Directions: Each group of questions consists of five lettered headings followed by a list of numbered phrases or sentences. For each numbered phrase or sentence, select the one heading that is most closely related to it and fill in the corresponding oval on the answer sheet. Each heading may be used once, more than once, or not at all in each group.
8. Plant growth toward a light source
9. When a Venus flytrap snaps shut in response to an insect
10. The photoreceptor pigment responsible for sexual reproduction in plants
11. Growth of a plant in response to the direction of gravity
12. Biological effects caused by changes in day length