Cracking the AP Biology Exam
Animal Behavior and Ecology
CHAPTER 13 QUIZ
Directions: Each of the questions or incomplete statements below is followed by five suggested answers or completions. Select the one that is best in each case. Answers can be found here.
1. When a seed is set in the ground, roots will grow downward while stems will grow upward. This plant behavior is an example of
(E) circadian rhythm
2. Which of the following systems most directly regulate behavioral responses in animals?
(A) Excretory and immune systems
(B) Digestive and endocrine systems
(C) Nervous and skeletal systems
(D) Reproductive and nervous systems
(E) Endocrine and nervous systems
Questions 3–5 refer to the following food chain.
Plants → insects → mice → snakes → birds
3. Which of the following organisms in this food chain can transform light energy to chemical energy?
4. Which animal in the food chain has the smallest biomass?
5. Which organisms in the food chain are secondary consumers?
6. The portion of the earth that is inhabited by life is known as the
7. Which of the following organisms serve as decomposers in the ecosystem?
(A) Bacteria and viruses
(B) Fungi and bacteria
(C) Viruses and protists
(D) Fungi and viruses
(E) Bacteria and plants
Directions: Each group of questions consists of five lettered headings followed by a list of numbered phrases or sentences. For each numbered phrase or sentence, select the one heading that is most closely related to it and fill in the corresponding oval on the answer sheet. Each heading may be used once, more than once, or not at all in each group.
(B) Operant learning
8. A stickleback fish will not attack an intruder that lacks a red belly
9. A bluejay avoids monarch butterflies after experiencing their distasteful poisoning
10. A chimpanzee uses several boxes on the floor to reach bananas hung from the ceiling
(D) Tropical rain forest
(E) Temperate deciduous forest
11. The biome at the highest latitude
12. The biome characterized by harsh winters, short summers, and evergreen trees
13. The biome with producers that are adapted to fires
14. The biome with the greatest species diversity