Cracking the AP Biology Exam
The Free-Response Questions
SAMPLE ESSAY QUESTIONS
1. Describe how the modern theory of evolution is supported by evidence from the following areas:
a. Comparative anatomy
2. Describe the structure of a generalized eukaryotic plant cell. Contrast the structure of a nonphotosynthetic prokaryotic cell to a generalized eukaryotic plant cell.
3. Discuss the following responses in plants and give one example of each.
4. Describe the chemical nature of genes. Discuss the replicative process of DNA in eukaryotic organisms. What are the various types of gene mutations that can occur during replication?
5. Select two of the following pairs of hormones and discuss the concept of negative feedback.
a. Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and thyroxine
b. Parathyroid hormone and calcitonin
c. Cortisol and ACTH
6. Describe the process of photosynthesis. What are the major plant pigments involved in photosynthesis? Design an experiment to measure the rate of photosynthesis.
7. Discuss the mechanism by which a muscle cell contracts. Relate structure to function.
The biology you need to answer all of these essay questions is in this book. After you have completed your essays, go back to the chapters that cover these topics and check to see if you have presented all the relevant points. Use our Essay Checklist as a guideline to give yourself (or have someone give you) an approximate score. Good luck!