SAT Subject Test Chemistry
REVIEW OF MAJOR TOPICS
PROPERTIES OF MOLECULAR CRYSTALS AND LIQUIDS
Experiments have shown that these substances have the following general properties:
1. Neither the liquids nor the solids conduct electric current appreciably.
2. Many exist as gases at room temperature and atmospheric pressure, and many solids and liquids are relatively volatile.
3. The melting points of solid crystals are relatively low.
4. The boiling points of the liquids are relatively low.
5. The solids are generally soft and have a waxy consistency.
6. A large amount of energy is often required to decompose the substance chemically into simpler substances.